Friday, February 25, 2011

It's potty training time!

This week has been interesting to say the least. Ethan just turned 2 1/2 and he started waking us up in the mornings asking to go potty. For three mornings straight he had already done his business by the time he came to tell us...and we're not talking "number 1" if you know what I mean. On the fourth morning he woke me up the same way but I found he hadn't quite finished his business. He insisted on sitting on the potty so I quickly took him to the bathroom. He grabbed a story and lo and behold "number 2" made its way into the potty! I almost broke out into the Hallelujah Chorus!! I figured we'd take the rest of the week and work on potty training. 

One thing I'm learning for sure about potty training, it requires incredible amounts of patience!! We started the first few days going commando, implementing rewards, etc. Ethan has done really well. I think mentally he totally gets it but physically he's not quite ready and that's okay. I've backed off the "boot camp" method and I'm going to just let him lead. I know when he's ready he'll do what he needs to do. However, I figured it wouldn't hurt to spend a day of preschool learning more about potty training!

Yummy gummy bears from Trader Joe's are good motivation!

Ethan with his potty chart. He gets to add a sticker for each successful potty time. Once the chart is full he'll get something extra special.

Bible lesson: 
  • Open in prayer
  • Read today’s devotional (from The One Year Devotions for Preschoolers)
  • Sing Sunday School songs

Story Time:
  • Read The New Potty (by Gina and Mercer Mayer)
  • Read I Want to Potty (by Izzy Neis)


Music Time:

Online Learning:

Coloring Activity:

Learning Activity:                                       
  • Wet and Dry activity:
    • Let Ethan feel wet and dry first-hand with a pair of mittens. Keep one mitten dry, then dunk the other mitten in a tub of water. Let Ethan try both of them on and see what each one feels like. Talk about the difference. Which feels better? (from pull-ups.com)
I didn't have mittens to fit Ethan's hands so I used two of his socks.




Ethan loved this experiment. He absolutely couldn't stand the feeling of the wet mitten and couldn't wait to get it off! We talked about how when you go potty in your big boy pants they feel like that wet mitten, yuck!

Puppet Play:


The puppet theater was Ethan's favorite part!! He loved acting out the steps of potty training, over and over again. :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment